For best results in newborn photography bring your baby in within the first two weeks of their arrival. The first week is even better. Do what you can.
Newborn sessions can be challenging. They can take up to 3 hours, however, most take about two hours.
Some key points:
- Relax. Babies can pick up on stress. If baby cries, fusses or has “accidents”, don’t worry about it. We’ve seen it all. Patience is key!
- The studio will be set up for maximum baby comfort. This means lighting, heat and sounds.
- Give your baby a long luxurious bath before heading out the studio. Then rub olive oil all over their bodies. This helps reduce flaky skin and relaxes them. Make it fun and play time. Try to keep them awake until you arrive at the studio
- Feed your baby just before arriving or as soon as you arrive. A well fed baby is a happy baby.
- If nursing or bottle feeding breastmilk, try to eliminate caffeine from your diet for 72 hours prior to your session.
- Bring the babies soother if they use one.
- Loosen your baby’s diaper and clothing at least 30 minutes before the session. This gives those imprint marks time to disappear. (You baby will be naked in most of the shots, but we pose them so that all the “important bits” are not on display.)
- Dress baby in a button/zip up outfit, ideally nothing that goes over baby’s head so if they’re sleepy when you arrive we don’t disturb them too much
- Safety first. We won’t do anything that will place your baby at risk.